Monday, January 2, 2012

Experiment: Veggie Lime Tacos



Experiment:  Veggie Tacos

So tonight I was making tacos for the guys....I wanted tacos too.  My choices were to do breakfast tacos (with Egg cause I am still eating them) or with miscellanous veggies I had in my fridge.  I chose the later.

1 large Dinosaur Kale leaf
1 cup of mushrooms
1/3 of a vidalia onion
1/2 cup of leftover basmati rice
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
pepper and salt to taste (I use very little salt now a days)
Juice of one lime
1 pat of Earth balance "butter"
Salsa Verde packets from Taco Bell
1 Hot sauce packed from Taco Bell

This recipe is still in the experimental stage.  I did not like the addition of the rice.  Basmati has its own unique flavor.  It was not horrible, very edible and did curb the craving for tacos that I had.

The kale was still very tough so next time I think I will marinate it in lemon juice prior.  I might switch to portobello mushrooms next time as well.   I still am not brave enough to try out black beans (I have to watch my protein intake after all).  I might try them next time even if its just a few tablespoons.  I might also add corn and cilantro as well.

Another way to go with this is to turn it into a fajita of sort...adding the roasted grilled vegetables such as bell pepper and possibly roasted tomatoes as well.  Back to experimenting.

I will find a substitute I will fall in love with to replace my tacos one day.....

Sincerely,
Crystal





No comments:

Post a Comment