Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Tofu Fried Rice


So I was really hungry for Chinese fried rice.  I had some left over rice from the other night and it was either toss it or use it somehow.  Looking through the fridge I noticed I still had some mung bean sprouts, scallion, celery, carrot, white onion, and cilantro.  No mushrooms...I usually used portabellos as my meat substitute.  Searching the bottom of the fridge, way back in the corner was a package of tofu.  This is the first time I will be cooking tofu.  As I have read and researched, talked to my favorite Vegans at my local Whole Foods....I prepared the tofu as I was directed. 

Over all, the dish was ok.  I think next time I might sear the tofu in a hot skillet first and then add to the stir fry during the last minutes of cooking to reheat it.  Due to protein consumption I omitted the egg this time since I was using tofu (if it were mushrooms as the meat, the egg would definitely be there).  The tofu was a bit soft since I just cubed it and added it during the final minutes of cooking.  So texture wise I did not care for it.  After all I wanted meat....it would have been better if I made miso soup with the tofu.  Next time.....

Sincerely,
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment