Monday, February 6, 2012

Pasta Alfredo



I was debating what to make today and was thinking about doing this dish.  One of my friends (Cat) asked me for the recipe so I thought I would just post it here for anyone that wants it can access it.

When I first tried this dish it was by the culinary hands of Deb Klungle creator of Nourished Body.

http://www.yournourishedbody.com/

Now before you venture any further, I have to say that Deb is one of the best teachers of Raw Food I have personally experienced.  If you have a chance to take her classes be sure to sign up early as her classes are very well attended and sometimes have to stop taking registrations.  I started out with her recipe and added a few things to it.

Also Deb teaches about RAW FOOD which is where this recipe fits into the category.

Your pasta is actually Kelp Noodles!  You can purchase them from their website www.kelpnoodles.com  They are a bit pricier than your normal pasta.

Anyways for this recipe, you will need one package of the kelp noodles.  You will need to soak them in warm water for a minimum of 30 minutes.  I say minimum because I like my pasta a bit softer so I soak them for 1-3 hours pending what I have going on during the day. They can also soak for long period of time 8-10 hours if you want to put them out before you go to work in the morning and have them ready for when you come home later that day.  I also like to add either lemon or lime juice to the water as well for a bit of brightness as well.

Now for the Alfredo Sauce.  I like to call this "Mac Alfredo" because it is made from Macadamia nuts.

You will need:

 3/4 to 1 cup of Macadamia Nuts.  The best kind to use is unsalted and unroasted if you can find them.  Now the nuts need to soak for 1-2 hours minimum.  This helps with digestion somehow (I am still researching that topic and learning)  You can also use pine nuts or cashews if you can't find the Macadamia nuts.  I just like the Macs better because they are naturally sweeter to my tastebuds.

1/4 cup of water

2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (I like to use Cold Pressed)

2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice (fresh squeezed if possible)

1 glove of garlic

2 Tablespoons of Infused Truffle Oil (optional)

2 Tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast (optional)

1 Tablespoon of Coconut Aminos (Now this might be a hard item to get for some people.  I use this because it has less sodium than Soy Sauce.  You could also Soy in its place if you don't want to use it, or substitute Braggs Aminos in its place.)  I get mine at Whole Foods, here is the brand I uses website: http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html

Then season with Celtic Sea Salt (what I use) or you can simply use whatever salt you like to taste as well as the addition of Black Pepper (I don't use black pepper if my friend Dawn is present because she's allergic to it).

Place all items for the sauce in a high speed blender EXCEPT for the water.  You will process them and gradually add the water until your desired consistency for the sauce is achieved.  If you want it really thick use less water, if you want it thinner add more.

You will need to drain the noodles and place in a large serving bowl.  Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss until well coated.  You can garnish this dish with a few different options. 

1.  Parsley, chopped tomatoes and a tiny bit of fine diced sweet vidalia.
2.  Basil (I like LOTS of basil with mine) and a sprinkle of Parmasean Cheese (I use the Veggie 365 from Whole Foods)
3.  If you want to make it a bit spicy you can use either a bit of Red Pepper Flakes or favorite Cajun Seasoning (I use Tony's salt free blend).
4.  Or top with a bit of your fav Italian seasoning blend. 
5.  Any mixture of the above that sounds good to you.

When I make this dish next I will update this post to show you mine...I did not make it today, but will later this week for sure, possibly tomorrow!  The photo above is about what it would look like and comes from Raw Food Recipes where I was inspired to add the other ingridents not in Deb's original recipe.  Its a middle ground of the two.  You can find Raw Food's recipe here: http://www.rawfoodrecipes.com/recipes/raw-alfredo-sauce.html

So if you try it, let me know!  If you have an idea of what else I can use kelp noodles with, let me know that too, I still got a good bit of packages I need to use within the next few months. 

Sincerely,
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment